Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Principles of Web Design Part 2

One quick rant before we get too in-depth:

I don't like being overly critical of a book, especially one two people spent a lot of time and effort writing, but seriously with a title like Principles of Web Design, you'd think the Farkai or the publishers would have sprung for color print in the graphic design chapter. On page 246, there's a black-and-white color wheel; seriously people that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Okay, now that that's out of my system . . .

After I'd moved beyond the planning sections of the book, I didn't really find anything insightful or particularly useful. I suppose the Graphic Design section would have been useful to someone who hadn't majored in Art at the beginning of his academic career and had many many design classes, but everything else seemed obvious, which isn't to say it wasn't correct of necessary, just obvious. By this point I think the internet has become so commonplace that most people looking to design a website will already understand buttons and hierarchies even if they can't necessarily vocalize the theory behind these conventions.

Of course, there is the distinct possibility that I'm imprinting my experience on others, in which case, the Farkai do a great job of relating the necessary steps in creating a website, especially if you throw the whole book away and just read appendix A, conveniently titled: Twenty Five Guidelines for Getting Started.

No comments: